Monday, August 20, 2007



What's wrong with me - afraid of a little Fair Isle? - look what I made!

At first, I was a little intimidated by this lacey poncho from Wrap Style - five different lace charts, five different gauges? Heh? And for a gauge challenged person like me, that was not only daunting, but completely unappealing. I'm unlikely to make one swatch, let alone five.

To swatch or not to swatch? That was the hard choice I faced. I haven't always been known for making the best choices - I chose a job where I make no money, and barely stay financially afloat on a week to week basis. I've picked oh-so-shitty "boyfriends" (using the term loosely, because it's easier just to use that shorthand than the long string of expletives they really were). Leaping before looking has been my motto. And, luckily, in knitting - that's all good. Plunge right in, and the worst that can happen is that you have to rip it out. No harm, no foul. Maybe a few frown lines, maybe a few hairs pulled out of my head, but I don't have to live with the ramifications of my bad choices for very long - rip! All better!

So, having gotten gauge for the bottom lace pattern, I just figured, what the hell, I was good to go. What's the worst that can happen?

Ok, the alpaca is a little sticky, very like mohair. Ripping probably would have been the end of this yarn. But, I put that thought out of my mind.
And, sigh of relief - it did indeed all work out.

And, no, I'm not advocating the abandonment of swatching - but sometimes, it really is prudent to throw caution to the wind, plunge forward, not be so anal, have faith that it's all going to work out.


So, while not swatching turned out not to be such a bad choice . . . why on earth did I make a poncho. A poncho? What was I thinking.

11 comments:

EmilyG said...

But it's such a *pretty* poncho! :) Not really a poncho, more like a... continuous shawl! Yeah, that's it...

buttercup said...

It actually makes more sense than a conventional poncho. Imagine the holiday cocktail party and this beautiful shawl-cho over a black dress. Your hands are free to juggle a drink and the appitiser plate without having to re-adjust a shawl all evening.

I think you'll come to find it's a smart choice.

Oh and as long as we can agree to disagree on the NFL Team thing - it's all good. ;-)

Navi said...

I'm a long time lurker but the last comment cracked me up and I had to say something, very good post if I had to make a poncho this will be it.

KelInCal said...

Ah, but it is a bee-yoo-tee-full poncho!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is truly beautiful!! Just amazing!! Nice work!!

Anonymous said...

BEE-U-TEE-FUL! Really nice work. I just finished my first lace shawl and I think this would drive me to drink. Good work!

Carol said...

I've always liked that pattern. Great job! Can you actually move your arms while wearing it? (I noticed all photos were on an armless dummy)

Angie said...

The poncho is beautiful and it's great that you're back blogging. Are you by chance going to Rhinebeck?

Theresa said...

Poncho or not, it looks great!

Elysbeth said...

It's not a poncho. It's a lacy shawl that you don't have to wrestle with when wearing.

WandaWoman said...

I thini the lace poncho is really a good idea and it's very pretty. As buttercup says, this can be very elegant and I think perfect for the holidays. Beautiful and glad it all worked out, without gauge issues.